Warning Signs of ED-DMT1
Medical professionals and researchers have identified the following warning signs that might be present when an individual with diabetes may also be developing an eating disorder:
- Changes in eating habits (typically eating more but still losing weight).
- Rapid weight loss or weight gain.
- Low self-esteem or preoccupation with body image, weight or food intake.
- Frequent urination, excessive thirst or high blood-sugar levels.
- Low energy, fatigue, shakiness, irritability, confusion, anxiety or even fainting.
- Purging behaviors (such as vomiting, excessive exercise or the use of laxatives).
- Discomfort with eating or taking insulin in front of other people.
- Hoarding food.
- Unwillingness to follow through with medical appointments.
- Recurrent diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).
For more information check out this article from our our partnering organization DEDA: